26.10.14

#INSTAFOOD

Hellloooo,
I've been hard at work on a new project at TEKO on technology addiction. I figured what better way to research it than first hand? I decided to delete my Facebook, Instagram, Whatsapp and Snapchat apps until the day before my presentation to get an insight into the impact they had on my life. Today was the first day and it was a struggle. I feel almost programmed into checking my phone every few minutes - only today it was to see no notifications. It's embarrassing that we have become slaves to the technology we invented, phones were made for our convenience not to run our lives.

It's concerning that children are being brought up to see this robotic behaviour as the norm. When I was 8 I was running about in the park playing on swings, convinced that if I tried hard enough I could touch the clouds.  Now children are too absorbed in their iPhones iPads and iPods.  Don't get me wrong, I think these new technologies are brilliant, but it's all about the right balance.  I find myself taking the time to get a perfect picture of my meal, rather than just eating it. I'm happy to let my food go cold in order to get a good picture to share with my friends. You could look on my instagram and just about figure out my weekly calorie intake. This realisation will probably not stop me posting my smoothies and burgers online, but I have learned from it. I've learned that we all need to look away from these screens every once in a while, and remember to live! To spend more time with loved ones that make you forget to look at your phone. That is the goal.

I'm off to work on my presentation, have a lovely evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment